Pran All Time

6 million migrants trapped in forced labour: UN report


Friday 12 January, 2018 09:36:38 pm

6 million migrants trapped in forced labour: UN report

Dhaka, Jan 12 (UNB) - Around 6 million migrants are trapped in forced labour, and that recent large-scale movements of migrants and refugees in regions, including the Sahel and South-east Asia, have created major humanitarian crises, says a UN report. 

The report called for the Global Compact to include a special strategy to address this and underscored the economic benefits of migration, according to UN office in Dhaka. 

Migrants spend 85 percent of their earnings in their host communities and send the remaining 15 percent to their countries of origin. 

In 2017 alone, migrants sent home approximately $600 billion in remittances, which is three times all official development assistance.

Women, who make up 48 percent of all migrants, send home a higher percentage of their earnings than men, yet they face more restrictive labour policies and employment customs than men, thus restricting their economic income and social contribution. 

The report points to an estimated 258 million international migrants, or 3.4 percent of the world’s population, with levels expected to increase. 

While the majority of migrants move between countries in a safe, orderly and regular manner, a significant minority of migrants face life-threatening conditions. 

“Migration is an expanding global reality”, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres maintains in his report released on Thursday.

“The time for debating the need for cooperation in this field is past”, and “managing it is one of the most urgent and profound tests of international cooperation of our time.”

The report offered the Secretary-General’s vision for constructive international cooperation, examining how to better manage migration, for the benefit of all – the migrants themselves, their host communities and their societies of origin.

The Secretary-General emphasised that “migration is an engine of economic growth, innovation and sustainable development”. 

The report highlighted that there is a clear body of evidence that despite real challenges, migration is beneficial both for migrants and host communities, in economic and social terms. 

The Global Compact will provide Member States the opportunity to maximise those benefits and better address migration challenges, according to UN office in Dhaka.

Member States are urged “to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls” as a central element of the Global Compact.

António Guterres encourages governments to work together to establish a productive and humane global migration system which would enhance, rather than detract from sovereignty. 

He maintained that a new approach to migration is necessary. “It is now time to draw together all parts of the UN system, including International Organization for Migration (IOM), to support Member State effortsto address migration.” 

The Secretary-General committed to work within the UN system to identify news ways to help Member States manage migration better based on the Global Compact.